Wednesday, March 17, 2010

I Hate St. Patrick's Day

Its not because I'm against drinking, partying or fun. Nor do I have anything against a bunch of non-Irish people dressing up in green and celebrating a holiday that they have nothing to do with. Its not even that I don't support gratuitous livercide on a Wednesday night.

No the reason that I hate St. Patties is because I'm now home and I hear sirens go past every 10 minutes or so. I hope that its just drunk kids pulling fire alarms, but I know it could just as easily be some kid with alcohol poisoning, or cut on broken glass, or hit by a car. Whether that kid is one of the friends I left just a few hours ago, or a random stranger, their life could be forever altered, damaged, from an time they weren't in control, from an event they won't remember.

So its not the party that I hate, but its the fallout and the consequences, the fear that a friend of mine could wake up cut, with broken limbs, or paralyzed. Or that they might not wake up at all.

When you go out, by all means have fun, drink beers, get drunk. But when it gets to point where you don't know to stay off the road, can't recognize glass as dangerous and vomit uncontrollably, for your own sake stop. Go home. Sleep it off.

2 comments:

  1. I'm alive Criag. Any chance you know where my phone is?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Livercide = Hepaticide. Or actually, hepatic necrosis. Also, very good point.

    ReplyDelete